Did you know that the average person spends roughly 90 percent of their time indoors? So it goes without saying that the air quality in your home is of the utmost importance, especially in this time of sheltering in place and working remotely.
Luckily, having houseplants in your home can help purify the air by absorbing carbon dioxide and photosynthesize oxygen, as well as boost your mood by bringing the outdoors in!
Here are 8 common and resilient houseplants that will help improve the air quality in your home:
- Pothos. A gorgeous plant that is harder to kill than keep alive, it adds instant drama to any room with its beautiful, cascading leaves. It grows well in pots, hanging baskets, and in water, and is super easy to propagate!
- Rubber Plants. These grow well both in the ground outdoors and in pots indoors. They love bright, filtered light, weekly watering, and are extremely hardy.
- Peace Lilies. Thriving in low light, this beautiful plant with white flowers and glossy leaves make the perfect addition to any room.
- Spider Plants. The perfect plant for a new plant parent, or someone who has trouble keeping plants alive, they thrive in almost any environment.
- Areca Palms. Add some drama to a larger space with this purifying powerhouse! They do require a little more maintenance, watering a few times a week. They are non-toxic to both dogs and cats.
- Snake Plants. This is a succulent plant that loves dry conditions- be careful not to overwater! Its a low maintenance plant that likes to be in bright light a few hours a day.
- Aloe Vera. They thrive in well-lit rooms, and the gel inside its also handy for sunburn and repairing wounds.
- English Ivy. While you’d most likely to find this plant creeping on walls outdoors,NASA says that this is the number one house plant for purifying the air. They work great in hanging baskets and also in small pots.
- Chinese Evergreen. This is a great plant for beginner indoor plant parents - it loves low light and is extremely drought tolerant.
- Bamboo Palms. These miniature bamboo trees are low-mainenance and can quickly grow from tiny potted plants to 12-foot tall show pieces. They also represent luck, and make great housewarming gifts for friends and family.